Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Views:
Comments:
  • October 2012

Discuss and speculate your favorite TV shows / series here!
  • October 2012

For those of you that watch Doctor Who, did you feel that the latest show (Series 7, episode 5) was rather un-dramatic come the end?

This may be a long shot here but does anyone happen to watch Downton Abbey?
  • October 2012

Steam Bandits: The TV Series.

How big do you think Steam Bandits will have to be to get it's own TV series?  Do  think it would be better served with live action or animation?
  • October 2012

I recently bought Kings and the first season of Young Justice on DVD. I'm liking both a lot. Also adore Legend of Korra, but its first season is all we have.
  • October 2012

Othni said:

I recently bought Kings and the first season of Young Justice on DVD. I'm liking both a lot. Also adore Legend of Korra, but its first season is all we have.

I was under the impression that the Legend of Korra was to be a one off series as it completed the four books; water, earth, fire, wind.
  • October 2012

palenoue said:

How big do you think Steam Bandits will have to be to get it's own TV series?

If Firefly can't make it in this world, what chance do we have? :P

I've been marathoning Doctor Who (so please take a cue from River Song - no spoilers) and recently finished re-watching BSG.

And yes, Rogan, I've watched Downton Abbey. I thought the first season was good and the second season was "meh", so I probably won't watch more.

• October 2012

palenoue said:

How big do you think Steam Bandits will have to be to get it's own TV series?

If Firefly can't make it in this world, what chance do we have? :P

While live action would be great, animation is also a good possibility.  With animation Steam Bandits could keep their art style and present luxurious other-worldly settings.  They could showcase rousing adventures of derring-do that would bankrupt even the most well-funded live action show.  In animation creating scenes is roughly the same cost regardless of what it is you're showing.  So drawing and rendering a conversation between an airship captain and an island governor as they walk through a city would be the same as detailing a reckless heist whereby I use an army of music-controlled wax golems cleverly disguised as an exotic-costumed female carnival to distract the island's population while my minions and I sneak into the Institute of Experimental Culinary Arts to purloin the world's only batch of successfully triple-fermented sauerkraut to overcharge my mobile Polish Beer Garden so as to escape the local constabulary who chase me using mobile town landmarks such as the bank, the town hall and Madam Troufette's Yeti Fur Lingerie Shoppe, but to no avail because my army of scandalously costumed carnival wax golems have already been dispersed throughout the city to provide much-needed interference as I complete my scheme to steal the clock tower and the Damocles Gem secreted within which I shall use to complete my Butterfly Effect Laser Cannon and conquer all the other islands with my unstoppable army of clockwork pets!  BWA-HA-HA-HA-err-um-*cough*-ahem...

Well, not me personally, of course.  Someone in a mask will do that, I'm sure, and I don't wear masks.  Just ask any of my waxen golems and they'll tell you I have never worn a mask.  Besides, that was just an example of comparative costs.  In a live-action show that episode would cost quite a bit, but in animation it would be roughly the same as any other episode.

Also, let's not overlook crowdfunding.  Firefly has become the rallying point for fans who are fed up with the stupidity of networks and big studios.  Kickstarter and other crowdfunding sites are growing in popularity.  When Nathan Fillion made that comment about winning the lottery, dozens of fan sites popped up with business plans on how to raise the money to buy the rights for more seasons.

Once Steam Bandits gets up and running maybe the people making the game could set up a sister site where they collect pledges for a 24 episode animated/live action series along the Kickstarter model.  If they don't make their goals nobody pays, but if they do then everybody gets a (potentially) great TV series to watch.  They might even be able to crowdsource episode story creation, where we the backers could submit ideas and comments for the writers to incorporate into the scripts, which in turn makes the show even more popular among the fans which then leads to more pledges for more episodes.